Monday, December 3, 2007

Highway 49

The ashes of her youth
floated like prayers across the campus.
She was driving home Saturday when the truck hit her.
The last thing she saw—-an 18 wheeler, t-boned, against the driver's side.
Her scripture cards scattered across the highway
recitations that once occupied her mind--
Psalms in one lane, Proverbs in the other.
She was flown through the ring of glass
and collided with the greedy pavement;
her hair framing her forehead like a bloodthirsty halo.
The wind screamed that night
and the stars weeped in silence
as a bold and willing future was laid to rest.

[This was a class favorite of my final project. Hm. I would've picked a different one.]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I have liked some of your other poems better...that's interesting. I think you've got some good material here, but I almost think it would make a better short story than a poem. I feel like the emotion in it could make the poem seem sentimental, whereas if it were in a story, it might be better because the whole poem is sort of plot-driven.

I'm happy that you're having so much success in creative writing class!!!

Alanis said...

oh.

Anonymous said...

i agree with heather.
i can definitely see how you've improved in your writing since you've been in the class. you might have some fun taking more advanced writing classes later. poetry class with mr. rogers was really great for me, exposed me to alot of excellent poets that i'd never heard of before, and some ideas and styles i'd never though to pursue. if you want to borrow some books over january, i have lots, and they could really help you with your growth&development as a writer.
my favorite part is the "t-boned" image. thats a good, not used very often sort of word.

Anonymous said...

oh and i changed my blog's url to:
homechanges.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

i'm glad you liked it, its still rough-drafted. i like jewel poetry too, even better than her music.